Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Austin & friends

Austin was just as amazing as I thought it would be. The Sunday night we got in we met up with a few friends at one of my favorite bars (Liberty) and it was like falling in love with them all over again. More and more friends showed up and I felt surrounded by love and laughter and happiness, I can't even explain it. In my one year in Austin I made more long lasting, true friendships than I have in my entire life. A lot of these pictures are shitty quality but idgaf because these nights were amazing and need to be remembered here.


Shirley, truly one of my soulmates

By Wednesday I woke up with strep throat, but really I think it was just me giving myself an excuse to not worry about finishing all the wedding related things I had to do. My sisters flew in that night which resulted in typical sister + three baby craziness. Thursday was supposed to be ladies night out but being on antibiotics and not feeling so hot we ended up walking around first Thursday (one of my favorite Austin events) and eating at the food trucks. My baby cousin Catarina came in with my sisters and I was so, so excited. She's 16 and the most loving, mature, wonderful girl I know. The absolute complete opposite of everyone I knew when I was 16 (including myself). She was so excited to be in Austin and I tried to show her the best time I could.

Friday I got to spend the day with a lot of my Portuguese family. We walked around downtown, ate delicious lunch, and sat out at a wine bar and enjoyed the beautiful weather. I don't see my family very much anymore but I love, love, love them. They gave me a sense of real culture my entire life and my Uncle Joe (Catarina's father who has always been my favorite uncle) has a way of making every situation more enjoyable and making you see the better side of life. This is a man who goes on and on about how beautiful and wonderful his family is and how he's the happiest man in the world, wrote "be happy" on our wedding check and reminds me that even if things aren't great in my immediate family that we're like his daughters and he'll never let us be mistreated. It gives me so much hope to see that he has never lost his spark, no matter what life has thrown at him. /sappy

Friday night was "gay night". Every single guy friend I have in Austin (unless in a relationship with a close girlfriend of mine) is gay, not to mention my brother in law was coming in that night and he needed to experience Austin's gay scene. It was FABULOUS. I had the best time laughing and drinking and watching the boys dance in cages and eating whataburger at 3am.


 I got to spend a ton of time with Sandra (who was a good friend from VA that I convinced to move to Austin, stupid, stupid me because now I need her back in my life)  and even though every picture we took together was terrible quality I just can't help but absolutely love them because she's one of the best ladies I know.



Saturday I picked up & had lunch with Alyssa, one of my few best friends who I haven't seen in two years. Even though I do pretty well not living close to friends, it was great to see her face after all this time. We had a rehearsal dinner with all the family which was interesting but also really nice. Niec spent the night so we could have good girly time on my "last night", and made me cry with her gifts (I swear, I haven't cried in a few years but anytime we're together and have one of our special (aka ativan) nights, I cry. It's amazing.) 

I wish so badly I could pick up Austin and move it to the east coast. The city, the people, the lake, the food, everything. It is an almost perfect town for me other than the fact that it's stuck in the middle of Texas. We're playing with the thought of moving back, but I know it's not the right step for our future (although the step that I know is right is the one I'm majorly struggling with). I just hope I can visit every year and keep these friendships and moments and memories alive. 

Wedding post tomorrow!


2 comments:

  1. If you move back here & we get to hang out more, can we plan a trip to Austin? I have this thing against Texas, but man you make it sound amazing & I really want to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And having a thing against Texas is totally normal considering it's an awful, terrible, disgusting state. Austin, however, is a wonderful little bubble :)

      Delete