Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Wedding.. What?!

Planning a wedding is the last thing I thought i'd be doing at 23.  I never dreamt of getting married when I was younger, I never daydreamed about my future dress, I never even thought of it.  In fact, I never planned on getting married at all until I met Chuckie.  I definitely had the moment that many others had talked about, the "oh my god, this is the guy I'm going to marry" moment.  Actually, it was before we even started dating, hanging out in his old room at his dads house, when I got The Message that I would have his baby (marriage just sounds a little less scary than baby, so we'll go with that).  I sort of lost it at that moment, telling myself I was just being crazy and that I haven't even known this boy for a month.  Two and a half years later, here we are.  
So, back to the wedding I never wanted to plan, the one thing I did know was if I were to get married, I was eloping.  No question.  Chuckie knew this and he "accepted" it.  Once we were engaged, I started thinking about all the fabulous places we could do it; going on a long roadtrip and eloping in a random city,  flying to another country (like Amsterdam, where he first fake proposed), and then I thought Belize! Belize would be perfect!! We could stay in the rainforest, swap vows next to a waterfall, go hiking, it would be fabulous.  Then the blows came.  The "I would really like to have a wedding", along with "I want our families there"....Wait... WHAT?  After resisting and refusing, he finally guilt tripped me into it.  So now.. I plan.  Isn't it funny how HE is the one who insists on having one, yet I'm still the only one planning it?  Sure, trying on dresses is fun, and I'm sure doing taste testings at the caterers will be even better, but if I'm the one left to plan this thing alone, we're doing it my way.  No long ceremony, no first dance, no embarrassing things (unless I'm drunk, in which case I'll have no problem embarrassing myself).  We'll see how this goes..

2 comments:

  1. dude, I swore I would never get married either... then I met Jared and I changed my mind. The of course on a rocky slope I changed my mind again, but the smallest thing ever that he did stole my heart away and I knew he was the one -- he cleaned up my vomit in my car. Yeah, I know it's weird that that sealed the deal, but it did.
    Then with all these weddings and looking at things for other people I started to think of my own & it is SO nice to know I am not the only one who doesn't want all of that traditional stuff.
    Just remember it is your wedding so be sure to keep the day about you (& Chuckie) and make it special for you two, nobody else. I am sure it will be an amazing day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's crazy how it happens! i never thought i'd be one of those girls who was changed by meeting the right dude but i totally am, and i'm so happy for it. and LOL yes, it's normally a very small thing that makes you realize they're the right one (and considering i'm deathly afraid of vomit that's a HUGE one!!)
      we're definitely trying to stay true to ourselves but it'll be a little more 'typical' than i ever thought it would be. but i will be happy and thankful regardless! :)

      Delete