Thursday, May 24, 2012

New York Weekend

Monique, my dad and I took a weekend trip to New York for my cousin's graduation and another cousin's christening. I had a fabulous time. Even though I only lived there as a kid, New York has always felt like home to me. You'd think after 20 years in Virginia I'd feel that way about here, but I don't, and I never will. I kind of ruled out ever living in New York again because of winter, but I may or may not be considering it when we move again (I know, I'm crazy, I can't help it).

Friday was Victor's party at the restaurant he works at and oh. my. god. The food. THE FOOD. I eat Portuguese here all the time but it's just not the same. I basically died over and over again from how delicious it all was. 
caldo verde, which I posted a recipe for here 

Carne de porco à alentejana (pork, clams & potato), worth dying for

Saturday we had a barbecue to go to, but Monique and I slipped away early so we could have our own barbecue with my cousins. We sat around a fire pit, made s'mores and stayed up until 3am talking. It was really, really great. My sisters and I were always sort of the outcasts of the family. We were the only ones who didn't have two Portuguese parents, didn't speak the language much, and my mom kind of kept us away from everyone (on both sides, actually). They have all been really close their entire lives and it always makes me sad that I missed out, but I finally feel like we're all forming better, closer relationships and it really makes me happy. Better late than never. 


Sunday was the christening, which was another excuse to wear a cute outfit and stuff myself until I couldn't walk. 

HOW IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE TO BE THIS CUTE? 

We headed back to my aunt's house and sat by the fire all night again. It's so nice to be around family, especially when they're people you like enough that you would be friends with them anyway. I'm going to make sure I visit a lot more from now on, and maybe, JUST MAYBE, I'll even move there. God help me.

And just because he's adorable and my family ALWAYS ends up singing when we're together (why? I really don't get it and never will) my formerly very shy little cousin coming out of his shell (aka drinking). 

1 comment: