Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Recipe: Fluffy Biscuits

I used to bake constantly. 2-3 times a week there would be brownies, fruit crumbles, cakes, etc. It was my favorite thing to do and if I hadn't gone to school for esthetics I definitely would've gone to culinary school. I also had a great big kitchen, extra money to spend on groceries, and people around me who loved to eat sweets. Then I moved away with a weirdo who doesn't care for dessert. HOW DID I END UP WITH A PERSON WHO DOESN'T CARE ABOUT DESSERT? It still makes me question my judgement in men to be honest. 


Anyway, back to baking. When we moved to Austin our kitchen was so. small. I'm talking one cabinet, with the same amount of width for counter space (which needed a microwave to go on it). It was a beautiful kitchen, but it made me so sad to not have space to move around and I pretty much stopped baking other than for special events. When we moved to Atlanta, it was WONDERFUL. Our kitchen was huge. Our pantry was the size of my bedroom. And there was a big southern family an hour away who loved to eat. I finally got back in the swing of it but was too lazy to photograph it or think about posting recipes (okay, I thought about it, but again, lazy). 

Which brings me to the point of this post. I need to be back in the kitchen. Especially until I find a job, I'm making an effort to cook regularly and bake at least once a week. It can get pricey but there's also plenty of things I can make with ingredients I already have. So, I'm going to do my best to have a weekly food post, whether it be cooking or baking, but most of my ideas for this blog burn out quickly (remember spiritual Sunday? Yeah, I still plan on reviving that one of these days). 



First recipe is BISCUITS! Homemade biscuits are one of those things that never taste as good to me as restaurant biscuits, so I'm on a mission to find the perfect recipe. They're great because all the ingredients are normally on hand already and they take less than 20 minutes to make! Recipe adapted from allrecipes.

Fluffy Biscuits
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3 teaspoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup shortening
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 egg
  • 2/3 cup milk
In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening and butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat egg with milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
Turn onto a well-floured surface; knead 20 times. Roll to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

These turned out pretty damn delicious, although still not perfect (next time I'll add more butter I think). I ate them with lots of butter and raspberry preserves and they were delicious. They hold up great for breakfast sandwiches, too. 


5 comments:

  1. they look delicious and I approve of more food on this blog.

    DON'T CARE ABOUT DESSERTS? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? in the words of the immortal Mary Poppins: I beg your pardon, are you ill?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boyfriend doesn't like desserts/sweet things either! They are clearly both monsters, how can somebody not like brownies and cakes and stuff!?

    When I first started scrolling down I was confused because in Australia biscuits pretty much = cookies, I think these are what we would call scones here. They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete